(Telephone interpreting in over 150 languages available)
What is in it: Most are made from wax.
Is it toxic? If made in Canada or the United States, they are relatively non-toxic. Occasionally, crayons made elsewhere may be contaminated with heavy metals.
Ingestion: May have laxative effect.
What to do:
Ingestion: Rinse out mouth and drink a small glass of water or milk.
Do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.
How can I prevent exposure? Teach children not to put things in their mouths. Put crayons away after use. Do not allow young children to play with crayons without adequate supervision.
Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.
© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre