(Telephone interpreting in over 150 languages available)
Black or Common Nightshade
Woody nightshade (Solanum dulcamara) and black or common nightshade (Solanum nigrum)
Is it toxic?
Unripe berries, leaves and stems contain a compound called solanine. Ingestion of small amounts may cause a burning sensation in the throat and a stomach upset. Similar symptoms may occur after eating green potatoes. Ingestion of larger amounts may cause more serious symptoms.
Ingestion: Ingestion of only a few unripe berries may result in burning sensation of the throat, a bitter taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Ingestion of large amounts may cause headache, drowsiness, confusion, dilated pupils and increased heart rate. Ripe berries do not cause these effects.
What to do?
Ingestion: Rinse out the mouth and have a glass of water. Contact the Poison Control Centre.
Depending on the amount ingested, referral to a hospital may be recommended.
How can I prevent exposure? Do not eat wild berries. Know the name of the plants and berries in your backyard.
Need more information: Contact the Poison Control Centre.