Nail Polish

nail polish


Nail Polish

What is in it? Usually contains solvents.

Is it toxic? In general, toxicity is minimal due to packaging (i.e. size of container opening and amount).

Health Effects:
Eyes: Possible irritation.
Skin: Possible irritation or sensitivity.
Ingestion: Ingestions of small amounts may cause nausea and vomiting.

What to do?
Eyes: Rinse eyes with lukewarm water with one of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container (bowl, sink) of lukewarm water. Have patient open and close eye.
  • Eye may be irrigated in the shower if this can be accomplished without delay.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over sink or tub or laid on counter during flushing.
Skin: Do not use nail polish remover on the face of children. Wash gently with soap and water. Apply lotion. Do not be aggressive removing polish.

Ingestion: Rinse mouth and drink a small amount of water or milk.

Do not induce vomiting.  If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.

How can I prevent exposure? Return product to safe storage immediately after use. Never leave children alone with household products or cosmetics.

Need More Information? Call the Poison Control Centre.

© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre