What is in it:  Most mouthwashes contain between 10-27% ethanol (alcohol).

Is it Toxic?  Unintentional or small ingestions are unlikely to cause concerns.

Health Effects:
Eyes: May cause irritation but it is usually transient.
Skin: May cause irritation or dryness.
Ingestion: May cause burning sensation in mouth.
What to do:
Rinse eyes with lukewarm water with one of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container (bowl, sink) of lukewarm water. Have patient open and close eye.
  • Eye may be irrigated in the shower if this can be accomplished without delay.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over sink or tub or laid on counter during flushing.

Skin: Wash skin with soap and water.
Ingestion: Rinse mouth and drink a small amount of water or juice. If a large amount has been ingested or more than an unintentional ingestion, contact the Poison Control Centre.

Do not induce vomiting.  If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.

How can I prevent exposure? Return product to safe storage immediately after use.  Never leave children alone with household products.

Need More Information:
  Call the Poison Control Centre.


© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre