Krazy Glue

krazy gluecyanoacrylate glue


Krazy Glue: Also called instant or super glue. Used in nail glues and to bond or repair items made of various materials including rubber, wood, plastic, metal and ceramic. Supplied in liquid or gel form and packaged in tubes or glue pens.

What is in it:
Contains cyanoacrylate, which is an acrylate resin that rapidly forms a bond with many surfaces.

Is it toxic? Low order of toxicity. Contact with the skin, eyes or mouth may cause irritation. Exposure to skin may result in fingers becoming glued together or objects bonded to skin surface.

Health Effects:
Eyes: Immediate stinging or burning sensation. Eyelids may become glued together. Small particles of solidified glue may cause mechanical irritation.
Skin: Does not get absorbed through the skin. May cause slight irritation.  Objects or surfaces may become glued to skin.
Ingestion: Glue may adhere to inside of mouth or throat. Adhered glue may appear grayish white and will eventually come off.  Will not cause poisoning if swallowed.

What to do:

Eyes: Rinse eyes with a gentle stream of lukewarm water for 5 minutes by any of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container (bowl, sink) of lukewarm water. Have patient open and close eye.
  • Eye may be irrigated in the shower, if this can be accomplished without delay.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over the sink or tub or laid on counter during flushing.

Contact the Poison Control Centre if eyelids are glued together or irritation persists after rinsing.

Skin: Wash skin with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. If something is stuck to your skin, try the following:

  • Apply nail polish remover (with acetone) to area then wash it off with soap and water.
  • Soak the area in warm soapy water for 15 minutes.
  • Gently peel or roll the skin apart using the blunt edge of a teaspoon or spatula. Do not pull apart.
Ingestion: Rinse out mouth and drink a glass of water or milk. If lips are glued shut apply warm water to area by dabbing with a wet cloth. Encourage maximum wetting from saliva inside the mouth. Gently peel or roll lips apart without pulling. Contact the Poison Control Centre.

If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.

How can I prevent exposure? 
Wear gloves when applying glue to surfaces. Keep out of reach of children and pets.

Need more information:
Call the Poison Control Centre.

© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre