Perfume/Cologne/Aftershave: In addition to essential oils and fragrances, perfumes, colognes and aftershaves contain ethyl alcohol (the same type of alcohol found in beer/wine/spirits). The concentration of alcohol varies depending on the product but can be higher than some alcoholic beverages.
Is it toxic? Toxic effects are due to ethyl alcohol causing a person to become intoxicated. Children are most susceptible.
Eyes: May cause stinging/irritation but serious damage to the eye is not expected.
Skin: May cause irritation/drying effect.
Ingestion: Small ingestions can cause irritation to the mouth and throat. More than a taste can result in vomiting and low blood sugar especially in children.
What to do:
Eyes: Rinse eyes with lukewarm water with one of the following methods:
Skin: Wash skin with soap and water and rinse thoroughly.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting as this increases the risk of getting it into the lungs. Rinse out mouth and drink a few sips of water or milk. Contact the Poison Control Centre.
How can I prevent exposure? Keep out of reach of children.
Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.