Contain various ingredients that prevent sunburn by blocking ultraviolet radiation. Available in a variety of forms including creams, lotions, sprays, gels and sticks.

Is it toxic?
Ingestion of a small amount, such as when a child swallows a mouthful, may cause a mild stomach upset. Exposure to the eye may cause irritation.

Health Effects:
Eye: May cause a burning sensation, irritation, redness and tearing. Symptoms usually subside once the eye is rinsed.


Ingestion: Ingestion of a small amount (includes a taste or mouthful amount only) may cause a mild stomach upset or diarrhea.

What to do?

Eye: Rinse eyes with a gentle stream of lukewarm water for 5 minutes by any of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container (bowl, sink) of lukewarm water. Have patient open and close eye.
  • Eye may be irrigated in the shower, if this can be accomplished without delay.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over the sink or tub or laid on counter during flushing

If symptoms persist after flushing or if you have any questions or concerns, contact the Poison Control Centre.

Rinse mouth and drink a glass of water or milk. If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Poison Control Centre.

How can I prevent exposure?
Keep out of reach of young children and supervise application.

© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre