Shampoo: The following information applies to non-medicated shampoos (does not include prescription shampoos or products used to treat lice)


What is in? Shampoos contain soaps and detergents.


Is it toxic? Ingestion may cause an upset stomach. Exposure to the eye may cause irritation.


Health Effects:

Eyes: May cause a burning sensation, irritation and tearing. Symptoms usually subside once the eye is rinsed.

Ingestion: Possible upset stomach and vomiting. Mild irritation to the mouth and throat may occur. Symptoms usually resolve once first aid measures are taken.


What to do?

Eyes:  Rinse eyes with a gentle stream of water for 5 minutes by any of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container of water. Open and close eye.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over the sink, tub or laid on counter during flushing.

Ingestion: Rinse out mouth and drink a small glass of water or milk. Throat irritation may be relieved by sucking on a popsicle or ice cube.


If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.


How can I prevent exposure? Return product to safe storage after usage.


Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.


© 2012 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre