Children's Paint

children's paint



Children's paint: The following information applies to paint that is made in Canada.


What is in it? Children's art paint is water-based and does not contain lead.


Is it toxic? Possible upset stomach if ingested but poisoning is not expected.

Health Effects:

Eyes: Possible irritation but injury to the eye is not expected.

Skin:  Irritation is not expected.

Ingestion: Possible upset stomach.


What to do?

Eyes:  Rinse eyes with a gentle stream of water for 5 minutes by any of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container of water. Open and close eye.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over the sink, tub or laid on counter during flushing.


Skin: Wash skin with soap and water and rinse thoroughly.


Ingestion: Rinse out mouth and drink a small glass of water or milk. An upset stomach usually subsides without any treatment. If vomiting occurs ensure a good fluid intake.


If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.


How can I prevent exposure? Keep product in the original bottle. Do not transfer product to a food or beverage container.


Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.


© 2012 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre