(Telephone interpreting in over 150 languages available)
Cherry Pits (Prunus genus): The following information refers to the pit inside the edible cherry.
Is it toxic?
All parts of the cherry tree are toxic except the fruit. Poisoning is not expected when the hard pit is swallowed whole. The body does not digest the pit so it just passes through the gastrointestinal tract and is excreted in the stool. The main concern with young children ingesting the pit would be the choking hazard.
Ingestion: Toxicity is not expected when swallowing the intact pit.
What to do?
Ingestion: Drink a glass of water or milk.
How can I prevent exposure? The pits should not be broken open and swallowed.
Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.
© 2012 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre